MY READERS

Thank you for keeping up with me and my photography.

Thursday, December 24, 2009

PICTURE THIS IN TEXAS "DEVILS ROPE"

Here is part of my collection of photographs featured on http://www.jlmccrary.zenfolio.com/. The photographs are accompanied by my thoughts and feelings about the photographs.I recently have had the opportunity to get out of the truck and take some side of the road photographs in Texas. I even got to stop along a Route 66 museum located in McLean, Texas, 75 miles east of Amarillo, on I-40 & Route 66 off of exits 141, 142, & 143. I was driving along Interstate 40 and I exited to see some Route 66 history I went by a little building that had a sign that said "Devils Rope Museum". I passed it up and realizing I had a little time to spare I turned the bobtail around. The question of "What is Devil's Rope?" wore on my mind so I parked outside the little tan building. Walking upto the door I noticed that the feature in front was two big balls of what I consider barbed wire sitting ontop of two concrete brick pillars. The sign outfront answered what it was but now I wanted to know why. Which that will have to be something you will figure out once you go and stop in the Devils Rope Museum.As I walked in I saw the nonforgetable display of the OPEN sign.
The museum had displays of all different types of devils rope a.k.a. barbed wire.


What I found inside was neat. I found out what Devils Rope was, a collection of old license plates, old time bottles, along with some Texas history.

The museum had beautiful collection displays of not only barbed wire but of objects such as saddle stirrups through the ages from metal ones to the ones we use nowadays. The collections are wide spread from stirrups to walls of branding irons and mallets. I was looking through the gift shop seeing ordinary gifts like Route 66 tees, cookbooks, license plates but there was something that caught my eye and I bought one. I was looking for that ultimate Route 66 gift and I saw a box of nails. What? A box of nails! Thats what I said until I looked closer and found two digit numbers on the top of each of them.

There is a reason for this but that will have to be answered when you stop in. You can get more information such as hours of operation by going to http://www.barbwiremuseum.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment